Serves 4 people
Follow the steps in order mentioned below:
Ingredients for Chicken marination:
- 1 kg chicken (boneless/with bones)
- Chilli powder – 3 tbsp
- Coriander (dhaniya) powder – 3 tbsp
- Cumin (jeera) powder – 2 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 3 tbsp
- Turmeric (haldi) powder – 3 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 3 – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 to 4 tsp
- Wash the chicken and put in a bowl.
- Put all the dry spices mentioned above, along with the ginger garlic paste (do not put the oil right now) and mix well with hands.
- Put the bowl in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Take out the Chicken bowl and put oil (quantity as mentioned) in the chicken and again mix well.
- Take a Biryani pan and place the chicken pieces in it and press them with hand in the pan so that they all rest on the surface
- In the bowl (which is empty now) pour 1 cup of curd and add salt and then add all the biryani whole spices (mentioned below) in the curd. Bay leaf – 1 , Mace (optional) – 2 pieces , Peppercorns (sabut kali mirch) – 7 to 8 , Cinnamon sticks (dalchini) – 2 , Cardamom (elaichi) big and small both – 1 , Cloves (laung) – 3 to 4 , Cumin (jeera) – 1 tsp
- Mix the curd well by putting half glass of water in it and pour the curd on the top of the chicken in the biryani pan. (Note: – do not mix the curd with the chicken, just pour it on the chicken) and keep the pan aside.
Ingredients For the rice:
- Rice – 1 glass
- Water – 2 glasses
- Oil – 2tsp
To cook rice:
- Soak the rice in water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat a pan and put water (quantity told above) in it and boil it.
- Put salt in it to make the water salty.
- Add oil in the boiling water.
- Put the soaked rice in the boiling water and stir once properly.
- Cook the rice till they are 85% done (Note:- Rice are not cooked up to 100% as to avoid moisture content to get added to the chicken, as already curd is added to the chicken which makes it moist enough)
Ingredients for rest of the recipe:
- 1 cup of pieces of onions which are fully fried beforehand (golden brown).
You can miss the onions as they are just for taste.
- Coriander leaves
- Mint leaves
- Saffron water
- 2 tbsp of Desi Ghee
- Kneaded flour (Atta), formed into a long and thin rope like structure for sealing the lid of biryani pan from its sides.
To finally make the biryani:
- Place some fried onions on the top of the chicken in the biryani pan and spread them evenly.
- Spread the mint and coriander leaves.
- Take out the 85% cooked rice from the pan and start spreading it on the chicken pieces evenly and cover the chicken. Spread about two layers of rice.
- Pour saffron water on the rice along with desi ghee.
- Add coriander and mint leaves again (do not put excess leaves as they may give bitter taste to the biryani).
- Take the lid of the biryani pan and cover its circular rim with the kneaded layer of flour properly and put the lid on the pan to seal it properly.
- Now turn on the gas stove and put the pan on it.
- For 5 to 10 minutes, keep the flame high.
- After this keep the flame medium for 15 minutes.
- Then turn the flame to lowest for another 10 minutes.
(It will take about 30 minutes to cook the biryani fully)
- Turn off the flame and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Now open and remove the layer of flour and enjoy the biryani!
If you have any query, comment in the Leave a Reply section below. Do tell me how it turned out!